Hosting with YFU
Who are the exchange students?
YFU exchange students are aged between 15 and 18 years. They have chosen to come to New Zealand and have had to go through a selection process to be offered a place and have to compete against hundreds of other applicants. They have made a definite decision that they want to learn about Kiwi culture and to increase their skills in English through living and learning with us.
How do you become a YFU Host Family?
In selecting families to host, YFU Student Exchange New Zealand seeks to ensure that your family is willing to:
- Learn about another culture
- Offer a welcoming and caring environment for our student
- Gain a new family member of your family with the same rules, privileges and approaches to discipline and responsibilities as you would give your own children
- Be open minded and flexible and patient to help our students get used to Kiwi culture, particularly at the beginning of their exchanges
- Ensure that the student respects and follows the program rules in terms of activities and behaviour
Five great reasons to host a YFU Student Exchange student:
- Gain a new son or daughter for life!
- Give your family a new dynamic
- Give your family a new perspective on community involvement and volunteering
- Forever change how your family thinks about the future of the world
- Build bridges of understanding between Kiwi culture and those from around the world
If you would like further information on being a YFU Student Exchange New Zealand host family click here to send us an online enquiry and we will send you further information or call you to give you further information or call us on 0800 833 624 (free call) New Zealand.
Once you have decided to host, we will arrange for a YFU Student Exchange local coordinator to contact you to arrange an interview at your family home and assist you to arrange for a criminal background check required for all members of families over 18 years in New Zealand.