Why Go On Exchange
Why Go On Exchange – The Benefits
Being an exchange student is a rewarding but challenging experience during which you will learn a lot about yourself and have some fun as well. You will be immersed in the language and culture of your chosen country and live like a member of your host family, town or local community and gain skills in intercultural learning and understanding. Remember you will not be a tourist.
If you become a YFU exchange student, you will:
- Gain a deep understanding of another culture and come to better understand your own culture.
- Learn a new language or significantly improve your current skills in a language through immersion in the language of your host country.
- Experience school with a different approach to learning.
- Greater general knowledge and understanding of global issues.
- Gain experience and maturity through the challenges you face on exchange which takes you out of your “comfort zone” that you are used to from your current home and school.
- Develop increased self confidence and a sense of self reliance.
- Enjoy the excitement of living in another country with the support and security of a carefully screened and selected host family.
- Make new friends that will last a life time and who will help you understand the world through “new eyes”.
Career and Future Study Benefits
- Develop an understanding of career and further study options you haven’t thought of before.
- Demonstrate your capacity to cope with change which is increasingly valued by your future employers.
- Return home as someone who is different from other applicants for employment or further study as you demonstrate the skills you acquired in meeting the challenges of the exchange experience.